Friday, March 8, 2013

"Hope" by Sri Chinmoy

1) Poem:

Hope
Hope abides; therefore I abide.
Countless frustrations have not cowed me.
I am still alive, vibrant with life.
The black cloud will disappear,
The morning sun will appear once again
In all its supernal glory.
      -- Sri Chinmoy

2) Vocabulary: supernal: being in or belonging to the heaven of divine beings; heavenly, celestial, or divine.

3) Analysis:
     
     A) Paraphrase:  Hope puts up with life's troubles, giving the speaker a reason to put up with them too. Despite the frustrations in life, the speaker acknowledges that they are still alive and can keep going. They say that the bad times will pass and that happiness will come back into their life.
   
    B) Theme: This poem shows the power of hope on someone's life. If a  person has hope, they can get through even the toughest of times. Hope keeps people from being bogged down with troubles in life and gives them optimism, showing us that the black clouds will clear and that the sun will shine in our lives if we just have hope.

4) Personal Connection: I loved this poem from the very first time that I read it. It's just so happy and inspiring, that it lifts my mood when I read it. This poem reminds me of the power that hope can have in someone's life, to free them from the burdens they carry. It also encourages having an optimistic outlook, which someone like me who has anxiety definitely needs. The poem says that no matter how bad things seem, with hope and optimism, happiness will always come into your life, which I find as a very inspiring message that anyone should be reminded of.

No comments:

Post a Comment